Sunday, November 30, 2008

Joy

1 John 1: 4-10

 And these things we write to you that your joy may be full. This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

This morning I was reflecting on a time when I was so deceived by the ways of this world that I could not even comprehend the simple truth, that I was a sinner. I remember always justifying my behavior with one excuse after another, and blaming someone or something else always made me feel better about myself because it took the responsibility off of me for my own actions and behaviors.
Occasionally I will still fall backward into this type of sinful behavior, and the result is that I lose my joy. So how do I recapture the fullness of joy that my sinful attitude steals from me? 
Usually confession is a good place for me to start. There is freedom when I acknowledge that only the blood of Jesus can forgive, cleanse and purify me of all unrighteousness, because in my own strength I constantly fail to live up to God's moral standards. So I thank God that He is in control and that I don't have to be.  I also thank God for opening my eyes and allowing His word to have meaning in my life. Thank You Jesus for saving me from the darkness.
Psalm 119: 164,165
Seven times a day I praise You, Because of Your righteous judgments.
Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble. 

No comments: